Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Worm in the Mouth




A Worm in the Mouth
by Carol Condon
www.carolcondon.com


It was the beautiful summer weather that drew me outside. I had been enjoying the crisp air conditioned atmosphere in our home, but the sunshine coupled with the warmth it offered was beckoning to me. I had my sunglasses, ice water and iPad all ready for a relaxing afternoon reading session in the peaceful seclusion of our deck.  I started reading but the material just wasn't keeping my attention. I set it down and was perfectly content to glance around at the beauty of the Creation that surrounded me. The grass seemed extra green that day and there were flowers in bloom adding just the needed contrast of color along with tomatoes that were hanging onto each plant drinking in the sunshine as they ripened a little each day. The sky was a perfect shade of blue causing the white clouds to shine most brilliantly. The day seemed especially quiet, and time seemed to stand still as I soaked in the beauty that surrounded me. 

It was then I noticed a little robin hopping through our yard.  It is not unusual to see a lot of birds this time of year but they are usually flying not hopping.  I kept watching as it hopped closer to me.  It was then that I saw it had a worm in its mouth and that it was on a mission to feed it's offspring.  I began trying to think what it was like to be a bird.  How difficult was it to find food in the hardened summer soil? Did they ever try to serve something less than the best so they didn't have to work so hard? The grass was nearly as tall as this determined bird yet it keep hopping toward it's mission to provide nourishment to those that depended on it. 

As I researched further I learned that both the male and female robin care for their young.  Each of them take on the responsibility for those in their nests. Even after their young leave they follow them in order to provide food until they are totally capable of providing for themselves.  As the female robin prepares for the new eggs that are soon to rest in the nest the male robin keeps an eye closely on their "now on their own" babies.

Are we as committed as the robin?  Many of us have the responsibilities of our own children along with our spiritual offspring.  Are we providing the "proper" nourishment for them? Are we going the extra mile to insure that they are receiving the best of care in preparation for flying out on their own?  Once on their own are we keeping them in sight just in case they need some guidance with their new found freedom?

 In June I went from 4 children to 5 when our son, Jared married his best friend, Marissa.  However, my responsibilities do not begin and end there. God has brought me into the path of so many wonderful people and He has trusted their care to me.  I can not afford the luxury of giving up or giving in! No matter how high the grass I must press on. I do realize how exhausting it can be as a caregiver to others, but we must not get weary! Our Father is watching and offering the strength as needed. Rest in Him, He is depending on each one of us.

Galatians 6:9-10

And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, it we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the poignant reminder. As my family grows through marriage and grandchildren I feel the responsibility to carry them in prayer. I am sure someone did that for me.

    ReplyDelete