Tuesday, June 24, 2014

She Lost Her Way


She Lost Her Way
Carol Condon
www.carolcondon.com

It began just like any normal Monday; however, it ended unlike any normal Monday. Chase and I left for his weekly piano lesson. The parking lot was nearly empty as we waited for his instructor to arrive.

I suddenly felt myself being watched. As I turned my head, there was an elderly lady pressed into my window. I asked her if I could help.  She just shrugged her shoulders and said she was looking for her husband. I explained that I had not seen anyone but I would keep my eyes open.

The elderly hold a special place in my heart. I do not like to see them eat alone, walk alone, look lonely, and I especially do not like it when they look sad.  This little lady exemplified most of these traits. She was holding a little shopping bag and a jacket. I asked if her husband was in poor health, and if we should alert the authorities. She said, “no” that he had just "left home" and didn't want to be found.

I began to suspect that maybe she was suffering from poor health and decided to keep an eye on her. Then, she fell. I called 911. She pulled herself up and continued walking. I was afraid I would startle her by putting her in my van so I just kept my distance and followed her.

She reached a building and two men got out of their cars so I hurried to her side. By this time it was easy to see she had lost her way. I told the gentlemen that I did not know her but I would stay with her until we could return her home.

As we questioned her, her eyes became more and more vacant. She said she didn’t know her name, where she lived, or any phone numbers. She looked over and told me that she had brought her most important possessions. She pulled out a rusty mirror, a checkbook that happened to be empty, a folder with 3 pictures, and a greeting card.  My heart broke. She finally looked at me, put her head into her hands, and said, “I just don’t remember.” I assured her that it would be ok and we would help her find her way.

With all of us working together asking questions, along with the items in the bag, the authorities were able to gather enough information to locate her address.  She indeed was lost.  She had left that morning and had walked for miles until she ended up at my van. I will never forget her eyes or watching her walk in circles searching for someone but remembering no one.

I began to look with new eyes at all the people walking around “lost”.  Was there anyone helping them? Will someone turn them from walking in circles to walking in His way?  Are we too busy with our own life and our own walk that we don’t recognize the lost?

“…in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”

Philippians 2:3,4 NIV

4 comments:

  1. Wow the tears were flowing God bless you and Mark as he uses you to lead people to him. This was very precious. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and touching. :-) (Harvellia)

    ReplyDelete