Tuesday, February 8, 2011

THE ROUNDABOUT

By Carol Condon
carolcondon5@aol.com


The tickets were purchased and the kids and I were excited for the special day that we had planned. It was a perfect day for enjoying some quality family time outdoors. The GPS was programmed and as the family joined me in the van we headed off in the direction of “fun.”

As I was driving I couldn’t keep the smile from my face as I listened to the chatter and laughter coming from my kids. The winter had been a long one so we were all more than ready to enjoy some sunshine and activity out in the beautiful, warm weather.

I was following the directions exactly and we would be arriving in plenty of time for the festivities. However, I suddenly felt a little confused. It seemed as if I was driving in circles. I listened intently for the road I was to turn on but I didn’t see it anywhere. I then realized that I was in fact driving in a circle. I had come to a roundabout. In reality, even though technically I was moving, I was actually at a stand still, not really going anywhere. In order for us to get to where we were supposed to be going I had to make a turn.

I couldn’t keep from thinking about the roundabouts we come upon in our journey of life. We have the proper “directions”, and we all may be doing our very best to follow them. However, at some point we have to make a choice to make the right turn in order to follow in the steps that He has ordered for us. The roundabout is full of people all doing the exact same thing, not really going anywhere unless they make a turn. Out of fear of failure, poor self-confidence, and maybe even a lack of proper nutrition in our prayer lives we opt to stay in the roundabout.

If you find yourself traveling in circles, it is time to pull out the “directions” and really search for the right turn that is needed. We will actually get to where we are going if we get off of the roundabout.

No comments:

Post a Comment