Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What's Under Your Bed





WHAT’S UNDER YOUR BED?
Carol Condon
carolcondon5@aol.com

I was rinsing our dinner dishes when I heard the washer finish its cycle. On my way to the laundry room I remembered that tomorrow was trash pick up so I detoured to the garage to run the trash containers to the curb. As I headed back into the house I realized that I needed to put the laundry into the dryer before finishing up the dishes. Going from one room to another I was suddenly aware that I had a little shadow directly beside my own.

Chase was only about four years old at the time and he loved to be my helper, but tonight he was just sticking close to me not saying a word. I noticed that he had left the light on in his room so I asked him if he would run in and turn it off. He reluctantly walked to his room and as he turned off the light he bolted right back to me in a very quick manner. I told him that we needed to go downstairs and tidy up before I tucked him into bed for the night and he gladly walked with me. Once downstairs I asked him to go into the playroom and turn off the light. He did so but this time as he ran back he made it no secret that he was afraid.

As I tucked him into bed, I questioned him about his fear. He admitted that he was afraid of the monsters that were under his bed. These “monsters” supposedly came in when we weren’t looking and they would hide out until bedtime. I began to explain how that was not possible because each night we prayed for Jesus to watch over him and keep evil far from him. I stopped then and said our nightly prayer together. I then asked him to climb out of bed and peek under the bed with me. He joined me and we took a look. I pointed out his racecar track that filled one half of the space. Then we looked at the long storage boxes that held all his “happy meal” toys. I asked him where the “monsters” were supposed to hide. He smiled up at me as he said, “Mommy, there is no room for monsters.”

How many times have we allowed fear to inhibit us from being what God has called us to be? Maybe we need to take a peek at what is under our bed. Do we have the space filled with “things that are true, honest, just, pure, and lovely” leaving no room for the “monsters” to hide out waiting to rob us of the things that God has for us? He has plans for us. Let us not miss out on them!

Philippians 4:8 NIV
8. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, that is sweet and spiritually speaking, so very important. Love and miss you. Your favorite fan! Proud...♥♥

    ReplyDelete