Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Looking Glass

Carol Condon
carolcondon5@aol.com


Getting out the door on time was always a chore. With four children to get up, bathe, dress, feed and pack a “so that they do not get bored bag” I barely had time to see if what I had on actually matched. Sadly one Sunday I happened to look down as I was walking into church and saw that not only did I have two different color shoes on, but they were different styles as well. It was then that I had to question myself if I had looked in the mirror to make sure everything else was in order before I ran out the door.

As my children grew older they adapted more responsibilities in getting themselves ready. There were times when they would come out and I would tell them they looked great but they might want to check the mirror one more time before they left. Every once in a while I would hear a “Thanks, Mom.”

During the years I have sent them back to the mirror for more than just their appearance. As they began to be all about their brothers, sister, and friends’ business I would gently remind them to go visit the mirror to see who’s business they were actually responsible for. It is so much easier to see others than it is to take a good hard look at our self.

The kids and I were in the fitting room on one of our shopping trips. I was handing some items over the door for them to try on. As they came out they headed straight to the mirror. I was ready for their laughter. This fitting room was designed for kids. The wall of mirrors was all twisted and bent to give them many options to look at! How fun it was watching them see what they would look like tall, short, fat, skinny, with a long neck, etc.

What mirror are we looking at? Is it a true reflection of our self or has the mirror been bent and now gives a distorted view less than accurate? I want to choose the looking glass that He sees through.

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.
I Corinthians 13:12 NLV

1 comment:

  1. Great thought!! I do pray that God allow me to see people the way He sees them, but I really should pray that about myself. There are times when I am probably to hard on myself (lol, I'm my own worse critic!), but there could be things that I have allowed into my life that I really haven't thought through!! Great Reminder! (Goldie)

    ReplyDelete